Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Big Ten and the East Coast

Just a link for today, as Nate Silver has echoed my concerns over the Big 10 inviting Maryland and Rutgers to the conference.  From the standpoint of the two schools, this makes a lot of sense, money wise (leaving aside the huge ACC penalty).  However, I just don't get it from the Big 10 perspective.

Being from the MD-VA-WV-DC area, I can say that MD football isn't a big deal.  Most of the people I know are Penn State, WVU or Va Tech fans.  Even more are transplants to the DC area that are fans of other schools around the country.  The conference already has enough teams to have a championship game, so why do this?

I guess we will have to wait and see.  But it seems that the current Big 10 teams could be reducing the share they get from their media deal(s), and not really expanding to any market on the east that is worth much.  But of course, both Nate and I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment