Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday Announcements

Hopefully, I'll have a pretty cool post up soon along with some further sab-R-metrics articles. But, I also wanted to say a few other things today. Oh, and welcome to the new setup of my blog. Let me know what you think in the comments.

First, I want to congratulate one of my college housemates/battery-mates, Chris Segal, for his umpiring assignment to the AAA Pacific Coast League. Soon enough, Segal, I'll be able to model your strike zone using Pitch F/X and give you plenty of crap about your terrible performance (joking). In all seriousness though, it's been fun to watch Chris move up quickly and hopefully this won't keep him to busy to make a tuxedo-wearing appearance when I get married in November.

Second, I'd like to point everyone to a new link on the sidebar: Rodney Fort's Sports/Monsters Blog. The blog will present interesting, non-sabermetric articles on Sports Economics. Dr. Fort comes at sports from a very different angle than a lot of what is on the internet, and anyone interested in antitrust and real economic issues in sport should check the site out. His first post addresses some misconception about NCAA budgets at The Sports Economist (another recommended blog). Interestingly enough, the issue is one of the topics covered in his fairly introductory Sports Economics class.

Additional Announcement: Related to my most recent sab-R-metrics post, another R-Blogger has a tutorial on some more advanced scatter plot matrices. These are really cool. While I was trying to keep things basic with generic code, Oscar really goes the distance in making the splom function nice and pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment