Monday, February 28, 2011

Spring Break, Woo!

I had hoped to add another edition of my sab-R-metrics series before heading off for my spring break, but unfortunately it will have to wait. I'm headed off to Napa Valley starting tomorrow and will not return until Monday night. Therefore, no new sab-R-metrics until next week.

I'm pretty excited to continue the series, covering some actual analysis of data from here on out using some cool techniques. I recently got a new laptop that has gotten me even more excited about implementing R for Pitch F/X data. With 8GB of RAM and an Intel Core i5, I'm able to load in over a million pitches at once. No small feat for R, which holds data in the active memory (one of its drawbacks). Revolutions is working on improving R for big data, but at this point it is limited to somewhat basic regression analysis. Unless you know how to run parallel processing, R is not yet optimal for processing big data sets.

BUT, the new computer seems to be doing well and I'm hoping to show it off in the coming months on this site. If anyone knows some fun things to do in the Napa Valley, Sacramento and San Francisco area, please tell me in a comment. I'd love to hear about things I should NOT miss while out there.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Millsy, did you play Gloom/Quake III Arena, and if so, did you ever briefly try the mod Tremulous? Aka, are you this person --> http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=1.msg2#msg2 ? We are looking for the poster of the first ever reply to the trem forums now almost 10 years later. Send a reply to robincj [DoT} 63 {aT] gmail comdot. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete