Thursday, October 7, 2010

Umps Care Charity Golf Tournament

A good friend of mine and former college roommate, Chris Segal, recently sent me an email that I would like to share with anyone that runs across this blog for whatever reason. Chris is a professional umpire currently at the AA level and is participating in the Umps Care Charity Golf Tournament that is dedicated to helping disadvantaged children. Please give the site a visit and donate if you can! Below is the letter with a link to the web page to make donations:

Good Afternoon,

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing today with a favor to ask. As a minor league umpire, I am participating in a 100-hole golf marathon on November 11 as part of a group called UmpsCare, a coalition of Major League and Minor League umpires.

UmpsCare is an organization that raises money throughout the year to help with the following youth and family care initiatives:
• The BLUE for Kids program that brings Build-A-Bear Workshop experiences to children coping with cancer and other serious illness.
• The BLUE Crew Tickets program to provide memorable baseball experiences for children awaiting adoption and at-risk youth in mentoring programs.
• The All-Star Scholarship open to children adopted from foster care to provide increased opportunities for advanced education.

I would encourage everyone that is giving, or has given in the past, to click on the following link to see some of the good works you are a part of. This link will take you to the latest Blog entry by a fellow member of UmpsCare, MLB umpire Mike DiMuro. Mike wrote an inspiring piece regarding the first Umps Care All-Star Scholarship recipient Peter Jackson, Jr.


I have to ask people for money, but I believe in the greatness of this organization strongly and wish you would consider following me lead and help to support such a great cause. Please consider contributing just $5 or $10 in an effort to help me reach my personal fundraising goal of $1,750 and with the event just over a month away on November 11, the deadline for donations is fast approaching.

Donations may be made at the following website: www.firstgiving.com/chrissegal

Again, I hope this email finds you well and I thank you in advance for your consideration of this request.

All the best,

Chris

Chris Segal
Minor League Baseball Umpire
The Southern League of Professional Baseball
Alexandria, Virginia

"Umpiring is the profession of holding one ice cream cone between two seven year olds"
- Ron Luciano


(PS-Chris would most likely refer to me as one of those seven year olds mentioned in the quote above, but at least he was on my side as my battery mate before he went to the dark side!)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete