Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Hometown on The Sports Economist

It looks like Dennis Coates has featured my hometown of Frederick, Maryland on The Sports Economist today. Apparently, the city thinks Bryan and Kevin Voltagglio's fame on Top Chef will be bringing in lots of extra revenue for the area. Doubtful, considering I lived there for 23 years and have no clue where the restaurant is--and there's not much else there. The Frederick area was a great town to grow up in, but in terms of tourism, there's not much to see. Maybe Civil War buffs will want to visit Monocacy battlefield? The Frederick Keys for minor league fans (and the nearby Hagerstown Suns)?

But it's fun to have your hometown in the spotlight. I grew up watching the Frederick Keys, and had the opportunity to see Nolan Reimold and Matt Weiters playing together there. The stadium used to be beautiful, but it's becoming run down. It's still a fun place to watch a game, but it's kind of appalling how bad the field conditions usually are for the players. I knew the head of the field crew really well, but I'm not sure he's still there. I've often felt like calling him up and asking what the hell their problem is. Hey, at least they have a carousel.

ADDENDUM: It looks like the Keys are renovating the field and the stadium beginning last year. I'm not sure who's funding this (if you can find information on that, let me know). The owner was named the Minor League Executive of the Year by Baseball America. He owns a bunch of teams, apparently, and bought the Keys in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment