Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Great Moments in Out-of-the-Box Thinking

I wasn't going to put up a post today (I have a final exam tomorrow), but I couldn't help but link up this post by Chris Moore at Baseball Analysts. This is the type of stuff that gets my attention, and Chris does a great job of explaining how having priors can actually improve umpire performance. Umpires will probably hate this idea, because they think they're completely objective and this goes against their squeeky clean self-portrait in a way. As someone who pitched much of his life, I'm not sure what I think of this. Talking to umpires, I have heard them say they're more likely to call a strike for a pitcher who's throwing them. I'm not sure if it's for the same reasons as Chris mentions. But it's a fantastic cross of sabermetrics, real baseball issues, statistical analysis, and psychology. Kudos to Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment