Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Guest Post at Fantasy Ball Junkie

As I had mentioned in my previous post, I had a little something brewing for a new post. However, I guess now I should mention it's a link to my Guest Post over at the Fantasy Ball Junkie. It was posted quicker than expected.

Basically, I tried to develop a statistical category-based ranking system for Head-to-Head Roto-Style Scoring leagues that was independent of schedule strength, luck, and other factors that can plague these types of leagues in certain cases. This isn't an attempt to discredit the league structure, of course, as this throws in a lot of fun with the league and I love the very competitive league I'm in.

While the Composite Z-Score isn't necessarily distributionally sound, I think it can be fairly useful to gauge where luck and schedule strength altered standings in the fantasy leagues. Last year, I got the shaft in my H2H Rotisserie Style League (20-team, 8x8 scoring) and wanted to know why, despite having a fantastic team, I didn't even make the playoffs. This year I had better luck, but there was one team in particular in our league that seemed to end up with the short end of the stick. I really think it's important to understand why your team may or may not have missed the playoffs, as this can help with understanding where improvements in your strategy and roster-building can be made.

Check out the post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment